|Season 3, episode # 3|
|Network/Country:||CBS-TV / USA|
|Air date||September 23, 1974|
|Production code||305 (3x3)|
|Written by:||Budd Grossman|
|Directed by:||Hal Cooper|
|Guest starring:||Jill Clayburgh|
|IMDb:||Walter's Heart Attack|
|« Previous||Next »|
|"The Kiss"||"The New Housekeeper"|
Walter's Heart Attack was the third episode of Season 3 of Maude, also the 49th overall episode in the series. Written by Budd Grossman, the episode, which was directed by Hal Cooper, premiered on CBS-TV on September 23, 1974.
|"Walter's Heart Attack"|
|Full Credits||Transcripts||More Images|
Walter tries to help his bookkeeper not commit suicide and suffers a mild heart attack at her apartment.
Walter misses a special dinner with Maude because he is trying to stop his bookkeeper (Jill Clayburgh) from killing herself due to her husband leaving her. However, while he is there, Walter has a heart attack and he ends up having much more than his health to worry about, when Maude discovers where he was. At the hospital, he tries to hide the fact he was at a woman's apartment from Maude, believing he's having an affair, laterthen bites her tounge when shen discovers the truth, and finds him in the hospital as he recovers.
Did You Know?
- According to creator Norman Lear, Maude was the first character on network television to use the term "Son of a bitch".
- The infamous "son of a bitch" line is literally the last line of the script. The short exchange between Maude and Walter after that is merely improvised bickering, typical of each episode's closing.
- Maude: Walter admits that he faked being ill] Oh, Walter, I'm the happiest woman in the world!
[She gets up, hugs him and says through clenched teeth]
- Maude: You son... of... a... bitch!
Cast (in credits order)
- Bea Arthur as Maude Findlay (as Beatrice Arthur)
- Bill Macy as Walter Findlay
- Adrienne Barbeau as Adrienne Barbeau
- Conrad Bain as Arthur Harmon
- Rue McClanahan as Vivian Harmon
Guest Stars/Recurring Cast
- Jill Clayburgh as Adele, Walter's bookeeper