| Season 9, episode # 23|
Edith's deadbeat cousin Floyd returns to claim daughter Stephanie, but then offers to allow the Bunkers to keep raising her -- for $1,000 -- in "The Return of Stephanie's Father" in Season 9 (#23).
|"All in the Family" episode|
|Series:||All in the Family|
|Network/Country:||CBS-TV / USA|
|Air date||March 25, 1979|
|Production code||923 (9x23)|
|Teleplay by:||Larry Rhine & Mel Tolkin|
|Directed by:||Paul Bogart|
|Guest starring:|| Ben Slack|
|IMDb:||The Return of Stephanie's Father|
|« Previous||Next »|
|"The Family Next Door"|| "Too Good Edith"|
(Season 9 & series finale)
|"The Return of Stephanie's Father"|
|Full Credits||Transcripts||More Images|
Stephanie's father wants $1,000 from the Bunkers if they want her to keep living with them.
Edith's deadbeat Cousin Floyd shows up as promised, but now has a demand: hand over $1,000 or never see Stephanie again. . Archie becomes convinced that Floyd is bluffing and refuses to give in to the demand, despite Edith's pleadings. So, convinced that Floyd is using blackmail to to try to get money, Archie and Edith hatch a plan to get Floyd to go away and keep Stephanie where she belongs.
Did You Know?
- Just a few days before this episode aired (on March 25, 1979), two guest stars actors Charles Wagenheim and Victor Kilian from this same episode were both beaten to death by burglars in their apartments. Wagenheim was killed on March 6, 1979 and Kilian on March 11, 1979.
- At around 10 minutes when Archie asks about Edith's fern she says that it has been in the corner for 9 years, Archie cannot seem to believe that it has been there for 9 years and tells Edith to "Just let it die". At this point in time it had been 11 years since the first pilot was made and 8 years since the first aired episode, as it is unrelated to the plot of the episode it can be inferred that the conversation's inclusion in the penultimate episode is Norman Lear's way of having Archie give a meta-commentary on the show itself. The is perhaps the only time that a character in the show has come close to breaking the fourth wall.
- The $1,000 dollars Floyd asks Archie for, when adjusted for inflation, equates to $3,470.92 in 2018 dollars.
- Archie: [to vagrant] Why don't you go to sleep and dream about the tragedy that is your life.
- Clerk: All night or just a fraction thereof?
- Archie: We ain't interested in sex, pal, we're married.
Cast (in Credits Order)
- Carroll O'Connor as Archie Bunker
- Jean Stapleton as Edith Bunker
- Danielle Brisebois as Stephanie Mills
Guest Stars/Recurring Cast
- Ben Slack as Floyd Mills, Stephanie's father
- Victor Kilian as Clerk
- Rick Plastina as Seaman
- Charles Wagenheim as Bum
- Hugh McPhillips as Derelict
More External Links