|Season 9, episode # 22|
The Bunkers getting to know their new neighbors, the lewises, whom edith rented the jeffersons' old home to, in"The Family Next Door" in Season 9 (ep.#25).
|"All in the Family" episode|
|Series:||All in the Family|
|Network/Country:||CBS-TV / USA|
|Air date||March 11, 1979|
|Production code||921 (9x22)|
|Teleplay by:||Mel Tolkin & Larry Rhine|
|Directed by:||Paul Bogart|
|Guest starring:||Janet MacLachlan|
|IMDb:||The Family Next Door|
|« Previous||Next »|
|"The 200th Episode Celebration of All in the Family"
|"The Return of Stephanie's Father"|
The Family Next Door was the 22nd episode of Season 9 of All in the Family, the 203rd overall episode in the series. Written by Mel Tolkin and Larry Rhine, the episode, which was directed by Paul Bogart, originally aired on CBS-TV on March 11, 1979.
|"The Family Next Door"|
|Full Credits||Transcripts||More Images|
Archie still can't let old prejudices go when he learns Edith rented out the Jeffersons' old house to a black family.
Louise Jefferson visits the Bunkers to ask Edith if she could show the house next door to prospective renters. Archie is all for the idea, as he thinks it will ensure that his new neighbors will be white.
Did You Know?
- Note: Final appearance of Isabel Sanford on the show.
- In the first scene Edith says to Archie "Guess who's coming to Breakfast?". The film Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967) depicts the story of a mixed race couple who surprise her parents by showing up with her fiance who happens to be African-American. Much like those parents Archie must confront and overcome (ever so slightly) his own preconceived notions about race.
- This episode marks Richard Ward's last television appearance, as the actor passed away three and a half months after this episode aired.
- Gone with the Wind (1939 film) - Mentioned by Archie
- Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967 film) - The movie is referenced when Edith says, "Guess who's coming to breakfast?"
- Roots (1977) (TV Mini-Series) - Archie is compared to a character in the miniseries.
Cast (in Credits Order)
- Carroll O'Connor as Archie Bunker
- Jean Stapleton as Edith Bunker
- Danielle Brisebois as Stephanie Mills
Guest Stars/Recurring Cast
- Janet MacLachlan as Polly Lewis
- Richard Ward as Ed Lewis, Polly's husband
- Allan Melvin as Barney Hefner
- Jason Wingreen as Harry Snowden
- David Byrd as Mr. Hoffman
- Isabel Sanford as Louise Jefferson (special guest star)
More External Links