|Season 9, episode # 16|
Stephanie's in good spirits after Dr. Sidney Shapiro successfully takes out her appendix.
|"All in the Family" episode|
|Series:||All in the Family|
|Network/Country:||CBS-TV / USA|
|Air date||January 21, 1979|
|Production code||913 (9x16)|
|Written by:||Phil Sharp & Milt Josefsberg|
|Directed by:||Paul Bogart|
|Guest starring:||George Wyner |
|« Previous||Next »|
|"A Girl Like Edith"||"Stephanie and the Crime Wave"|
The Appendectomy was the 16th episodes of Season 9 of All in the Family, the 197th overall episode in the series. Written by Phil Sharp and Milt Josefsberg , the episode, which was directed by Paul Bogart, originally aired on CBS-TV on January 21, 1979.
|Full Credits||Transcripts||More Images|
On her tenth birthday Stephanie is rushed to the hospital with appendicitis.
When Stephanie develops appendicitis, old, but reliable Dr. Shapiro is unavailable to perform the surgery. However, his son - who turns out to be one of Gloria's former playmates, is available and willing to do the surgery, even if an outraged Archie objects.
Did You Know?
- Stephanie: Thanks, Uncle Archie.
- Archie: Me? But it's from your father.
- Stephanie: My father doesn't spell "Daddy" D-A-D-Y.
- Edith: You know what we're gonna do tomorrow?
- Archie: Don't tell me.
- Edith: We're gonna throw Stephanie a birthday party.
- Archie: She tells me anyway.
- Edith: [about Dr. Sydney Shapiro] He was so smart. He had always wanted to make a bat.
- Archie: A ball bat?
- Edith: No, a real bat. He wanted to cross a mouse with a bird.
- Archie: THAT'S the genius you got working on our kid in there?
- Archie: Hey Sydney, you're a real chimp off the old block.
- Archie: What kind of a doctor chokes up to the house in a Plymouth? Let me call Dr. Kurtsman who glides around in a Lincoln.
- Dr. Sidney Shapiro: That girl needs her appendix taken out. If you want a second opinion, take her to the hospital and have it done there.
- Archie: But I want a second opinion to see if she should go to the hospital.
- Edith: We'd barely have enough strength to drag ourselves over the hill to the bone orchard.
Edith: I ain't going to no bone orchard.
- Archie: If I go, you go.
- Archie: I nearly killed the child.
- Edith: You couldn't help it if her appendix burst.
- Archie: Who said young Dr. Shapiro shouldn't do it? Who said old Dr. Shapiro should? Who thought we should get Dr. Kurtsman - who never called me back from the Copa Cabana. Who done all them stupid things?
- Edith: You did.
- The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson (TV series) - Mentioned by Archie
- Soundtrack Credits
- Happy Birthday to You (traditional song, uncredited) - Written by Mildred J. Hill and Patty S. Hill. Sung by cast
Cast (in Credits Order)
- Carroll O'Connor as Archie Bunker
- Jean Stapleton as Edith Bunker
- Danielle Brisebois as Stephanie Mills
Guest Stars/Recurring Cast
- George Wyner as Dr. Sidney Shapiro
- Tracy Bogart as Nurse