|Season 7, episode # 9|
|"All in the Family" episode|
|Series:||All in the Family|
|Network/Country:||CBS-TV / USA|
|Air date||November 13, 1976|
|Production code||710 (7x09)|
|Written by:||Michael Loman|
|Directed by:||Paul Bogart|
|Guest starring:||Liz Torres|
|IMDb:||Teresa Moves In|
|« Previous||Next »|
|"Beverly Rides Again"||"Mike and Gloria's Will"|
Teresa Moves In is the ninth episode of Season 7 of All in the Family, and the 141st episode in the series; it is also the first part of a two-part episode story arc. Written by Michael Loman, the episode, which was directed by Paul Bogart, originally aired on CBS-TV on November 13, 1976.
|"Teresa Moves In"|
|Full Credits||Transcripts||More Images|
Archie and Edith place an ad in the paper to rent Mike and Gloria's old bedroom to a boarder. Their ad is answered by Teresa Betencourt, a young, Latina student-nurse, who Archie had previously encountered in a previous episode (when he was admitted to the hospital for surgery), and who hadn't made the greatest first impression on him. Note: Rob Reiner does not appear in this episode.
In order to catch up on some of the bills, Archie and Edith decide to rent out the spare guest room. The best qualified candidate turns out to be Teresa Betancourt the smart-alack Puerto Rican nurse that checked Archie into the hospital when he had his surgery.
Teresa warns Archie and Edith that she has a boyfriend with a hot temper who is looking for her, and when a man comes looking for her, Archie assumes it is the boyfriend and when he tries to get past him, he slugs the guy in the stomach. It turns out that the man is really her brother and that she is touched that Archie would defend her like that.
Did You Know?
- Liz Torres would go on to appear on the short lived spinoff of The Jeffersons TV series called Checking In.
- Teresa: Mr. Bunkers, could you turn down the sound please?
- Archie: You can't do that. You can't enjoy it unless you hear the victims screaming.
- Teresa: I don't mean the sounds from the TV, I mean the sounds from you.
- Archie: Oh, don't pay no attention to me, I always holler at the monster pictures there. Particularly this frog picture. I seen it 4 or 5 times.
- Teresa: The frog can't hear what you say. It's a fake frog. It's a fake lamp post, it's a fake building, it's a fake movie.
- Archie: You just spoiled my whole evening.
- Teresa: [in her Puerto Rican accent] Well you spoiled my study time.
- Archie: Well you, 'espoiled' my frog picture.
- Teresa: You making fun of my English?
- Archie: Everybody makes fun of your English!
- Archie: I changed my mind. I don't want no stranger in the house. He'd probably snuggle girls up the stairs.
- Edith: Well suppose the 'he' is a she?
- Archie: You wouldn't want that either.
- Archie: [on a female boarder] Get one with the flat chests and big feet who want nothing out of life other than to work hard and pay the rent.
- Edith: But in the hospital you said having a boarder was a good idea.
- Archie: But I was so full of pills and enemas, I didn't know if I was coming or going.
Cast (in Credits Order)
- Carroll O'Connor as Archie Bunker
- Jean Stapleton as Edith Bunker
- Rob Reiner as Michael Stivic
- Sally Struthers as Gloria Bunker Stivic
Guest Stars/Recurring Cast
- Liz Torres as Teresa Betancourt
- Alex Colon as Luis Betancourt, Teresa's brother (credited as Alex Colón)