|Season 7, episode # 11|
|"All in the Family" episode|
|Series:||All in the Family|
|Network/Country:||CBS-TV / USA|
|Air date||November 27, 1976|
|Production code||712 (7x11)|
|Written by:||Mel Tolkin & Larry Rhine|
|Directed by:||Paul Bogart|
|Guest starring:||Jason Wingreen|
Maxine Elliott Hicks
|IMDb:||Mr. Edith Bunker|
|« Previous||Next »|
|"Mike and Gloria's Will"||"Archie's Secret Passion"|
Mr. Edith Bunker is the 11th episode of Season 7 of All in the Family, the 143rd episode in the series. Written by Mel Tolkin and Larry Rhine, the episode, which was directed by Paul Bogart, originally aired on CBS-TV on November 27, 1976.
|"Mr. Edith Bunker"|
|Full Credits||Transcripts||More Images|
Edith saves a visiting relatives's life while at The Sunshine Home and becomes a local celebrity, much to Archie's annoyance.
Edith attends a birthday party for an elderly patron of the Sunshine Home. While there, a young visiting nephew has a heart attack. Edith saves his life by administering CPR, and a local newswoman wants to put feature her as the hero of the week. as Edith is named "Person of the Week" on the CBS Evening News. When the news crew arrives, Archie thinks that the woman will be interviewing both of them. He gets in the way and the newswoman becomes rude and pushy, forcing Archie to flee the house for Kelcy's. Archie is surprised and jealous when he's not in the spotlight, but still manages to compliment his wife when the interview comes on TV, admitting that she "looked nice".
Note: Rob Reiner does not appear in this episode.
Did You Know?
- Kate Korman: [to Archie] I have a name for you. Mr. Edith Bunker.
- Kate Korman: And then say something like, because of your skill and alertness, a man walks the good Earth, breathing God's clean air.
- Archie: Not if he's walking around New York he ain't.
- Edith: Well, see, I figured that he was having a heart attack and I had some training in CPR that's Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation. It was on that TV show 60 Minutes once.
- Archie: We watch all of them high class, educational shows right through, no matter how exhausted we get.
- Edith: [to Kate Korman] Archie was just trying to help.
- Kate Korman: Help? He's done nothing but get in the way.
- Archie: Say that again.
[tries to take the doll away from Gloria and in the process pulls its head off]
- Kate Korman: You are in the way!
- Archie: You didn't have to tell me twice.
- Archie: Alright, that's it. I'm in the way. I'll get the hell outta here, go down to Kelsey's. Oh no, no, I don't wanna stick around here with Wanda Cronkite over there. However, before I leave, I'll say one more thing: I would like to give you a little bit of technical advice that might help you in your career, lady.
- Kate Korman: And what's that?
- Archie: Zip up your fly!
- Let's Make a Deal - (TV game show) - Mentioned in dialogue
- 60 Minutes - (TV series) - Mentioned in dialogue
- Soundtrack Credits
- Happy Birthday to You - (uncredited)
Written by Mildred J. Hill and Patty S. Hill, sung by cast
Cast (in Credits Order)
- Carroll O'Connor as Archie Bunker
- Jean Stapleton as Edith Bunker
- Rob Reiner as Michael Stivic
- Sally Struthers as Gloria Bunker Stivic
Guest Stars/Recurring Cast
- Jason Wingreen as Harry Snowden
- Liz Torres as Teresa Betancourt
- Priscilla Morrill as Kate Korman
- Phil Leeds as Sol Kleeger
- Danny Dayton as Hank Pivnik
- Florence Halop as Martha Linfoot
- James Greene as Charles Martin
- Maxine Elliott Hicks as Mrs. Bradley (credited as Maxine Elliott)
- Bella Chronis as Mrs. Freedman
- Bob Duggan as Audio Man