| Season 7, episode # 21|
|"All in the Family" episode|
|Series:||All in the Family|
|Network/Country:||CBS-TV / USA|
|Air date||February 12, 1977|
|Production code||721 (7x21)|
|Written by:||Phil Doran & Douglas Arango|
|Directed by:||Paul Bogart|
|Guest starring:|| Nita Talbot|
|IMDb:||Mike the Pacifist|
|« Previous||Next »|
|"The Joys of Sex"||"Fire"|
|"Mike the Pacifist"|
|Full Credits||Transcripts||More Images|
Archie tags along when Mike and Gloria go house hunting in the Bronx. On their way back, the subway breaks down, and Mike punches a man who was assaulting his wife, causing him to question his belief in nonviolence.
Mike, Gloria and Archie take the subway back from the Bronx where they were going to see a house. Archie warns them about the scum and "preverts" that ride the subway even though Mike thinks dead wrong about the common man and about violence. That theory is tested when they are witness to a feuding married couple who are not only at odds with one another but are determined to drag Mike and Gloria and Archie into the middle of it. The argument gets so heated that the man attempts to strangle his wife, leading Mike to jump to the rescue. For a brief moment, Mike thinks he may have killed the man, but he eventually comes around and despite the fact that the man is okay, Mike feels horrible for giving in to his base instincts.
Jean Stapleton doesn't appear in this episode.
- The Dinah Shore Chevy Show (TV talk show) - Mentioned in dialogue
[Archie, Mike and Gloria all are on a subway train]
- Mike: You've moved us through three cars already.
- Archie: There was a gang war in the first car.
- Mike: What gang? It was three kids fighting over a strap to hold onto.
- Archie: I'll bet if you went back now the little one would be hanging from that strap.
- Archie: All you done was belt him.
Cast (in Credits Order)
- Carroll O'Connor as Archie Bunker
- Jean Stapleton as Edith Bunker (credited only)
- Rob Reiner as Michael Stivic
- Sally Struthers as Gloria Bunker Stivic
Guest Stars/Recurring Cast
- Nita Talbot as Marcia
- Wynn Irwin as Howard, Marcia's husband
- William Lanteau as Doctor on Subway
- Richard Lawson as Angry Black Man
- William Pierson as Wino on Subway
- Al Mancini as Pickpocket
- Jerrold Ziman as Lawyer on Subway
- Gerry Black as Subway Conductor
- Vanda Barra as Clarice, the Doctor's wife
- Eddie Goldberg as Old Man on Subway
- Sudie Bond as Old Woman on Subway