|Season 8, episode # 22|
|"All in the Family" episode|
|Series:||All in the Family|
|Network/Country:||CBS-TV / USA|
|Air date||March 5, 1978|
|Production code||822 (8x22)|
|Written by:||Mel Tolkin & Larry Rhine|
|Directed by:||Paul Bogart|
|Guest starring:||Sherman Hemsley|
|IMDb:||Mike's New Job|
|« Previous||Next »|
|"Archie's Brother"||"The Dinner Guest"|
Mike's New Job is the 22nd episode of Season 8 of All in the Family, and the 179th overall episode of the series. Written by Mel Tolkin and Larry Rhine, the episode, which was directed by Paul Bogart, originally aired on CBS-TV on March 5, 1978.
|"Mike's New Job"|
|Full Credits||Transcripts||More Images|
Mike finds out he got an associate professor's job in California and he and Gloria and Joey plan to move away.
Archie is devastated when he learns that the Stivics will be moving to California in two weeks after Mike accepts an offer to become an associate professor in Santa Barbara. A visit from George Jefferson makes his day even worse.
Did You Know?
- Edith tells Archie that Mike will be making $21,800 in his new job. This amount in 1978 would be worth $84,766 inflation adjusted to 2017.
- Archie says that California is 950 miles away. Actually, if Mike and Gloria moved 950 miles west of Queens, they'd be in Illinois.
- Final appearance of Sherman Hemsley on the show.
- Archie: George Jefferson is the only black guy I know that calls Abe Lincoln a honky.
- Archie: Don't you know that California is sitting on a shelf out there, they call that the Pacific Shelf. There's three states on that shelf: Oregon, California and Missouri. When the big earthquake hits, all them three states are going to be shoved right off that shelf there. They call that the Continental Divide.
- Mike: What?
- Archie: Yes. The Pope knew about this years ago. He said it was St. Andrew's fault!
- Archie: California is full of nuts and fruits. Every fruit is a little nutty and every nut is a little fruity.
- Soundtrack Credits
- "California Here I Come" (1924 song) (uncredited)
Written by Al Jolson, Buddy G. DeSylva, Joseph Meyer Portion sung by Rob Reiner
Cast (in Credits Order)
- Carroll O'Connor as Archie Bunker
- Jean Stapleton as Edith Bunker (credited only)
- Rob Reiner as Michael Stivic
- Sally Struthers as Gloria Bunker Stivic
Guest Stars/Recurring Cast
More External Links