|Season 3, episode # 15|
|"All in the Family" episode|
|Series:||All in the Family|
|Air date||January 6, 1973|
|Production code||316 (3x15)|
|Teleplay by:||Don Nicholl|
|Story by:||Stanley Ralph Ross & Martin Cohan|
|Directed by:||John Rich & Bob LaHendro|
|Guest starring:||Liam Dunn|
|IMDb:||Archie Goes to the Hospital|
|« Previous||Next »|
|"Archie and the Bowling Team"||"Oh Say Can You See"|
Archie Goes to the Hospital is the 15th episode of the third season and the 52nd overall episode All in the Family. The Season 3 episode first aired on CBS-TV on January 6, 1973. The Story was co-directed by John Rich and Bob LaHendro. Co-written as an original story written by Stanley Ralph Ross and Martin Cohan, it was developed as a teleplay by Don Nicholl.
|"Archie Goes to the Hospital"|
|Full Credits||Transcripts||More Images|
Archie is hospitalized for chronic back pain, and makes great friends with his roommate. He is in for quite a shock when he gets to meet him in person—he is black and a Frenchman. Will that change their new relationship?
Problems on the job manifest themselves in a huge backache for Archie Bunker. Landing in the hospital, he strikes up a warm friendship with his roommate, who is separated from Archie by a faulty transom partition, as he even invites the man over to his home to visit for dinner after they're both released from the hospital. Unbeknownst to him, Archie's unseen new friend is a black man, as he then sort of reneges his invitation to him when Mike, Edith and Gloria drop by the hospital room to check up on him and moves the partition back!
- Roscoe Lee Browne, who also appeared in the Season 2 episode "The Elevator Story" (episode #14) as Hugh Victor Thompson III, guest stars in this episode as Mr. Duval.
- Archie: [upon seeing hospital roommate Jean Duval for the first time] Hey! You didn't tell me you was black!
- Jean Duval: You did not tell me you was white!
Cast (in credits order)
- Carroll O'Connor as Archie Bunker
- Jean Stapleton as Edith Bunker
- Rob Reiner as Michael Stivic
- Sally Struthers as Gloria Bunker Stivic
- John Heffernan as Dr. Spence
- Liam Dunn as Mr. Fairchild
- Priscilla Morrill as Nurse
- Roscoe Lee Browne as Jean Duval
More External Links