|Season 6, episode # 18|
|"All in the Family" episode|
|Series:||All in the Family|
|Network/Country:||CBS-TV / USA|
|Air date||January 26, 1976|
|Production code||618 (6x18)|
|Written by:||Mel Tolkin & Larry Rhine|
|Directed by:||Paul Bogart|
|Guest starring:||Jack Gilford|
|IMDb:||Archie Finds a Friend|
|« Previous||Next »|
|"Archie the Babysitter"||"Mike's Move"|
Archie Finds a Friend was the 18th episode in the sixth season of All in the Family, the 126th overall episode in the series. Co-written by Mel Tolkin and Larry Rhine, the episode, which was directed by Paul Bogart, originally aired on CBS-TV on January 26, 1976.
|"Archie Finds a Friend"|
|Full Credits||Transcripts||More Images|
Archie meets a new friend (Jack Gilford), and tries to convince Edith to agree to invest in his automatic doorbell ringer invention, which he is sure will make then a fortune.
Archie befriends an elderly Jewish watchmaker named Bernie Bernstein who has come up with an invention that he thinks could make the both of them millionaires, a remote control for the doorbell. All he needs from Archie is $1000 to get started, which Archie just happens to have. Edith objects, and the more Archie tries to shut her up, the louder her objections become, especially when the remote either doesn't work or rings every doorbell in the neighborhood. Eventually it comes to light that Mr. Bernstein is a very sick man, and eventually dies right there on their couch.
- Both Rob Reiner and Sally Struthers are absent from appearing in the episode.
- While Betty Garrett had already made her final appearance as Irene Lorenzo in the episode "Gloria is Nervous" (episode #13) earlier in the season, the phone conversation Edith has with Irene here marks the final time that character is ever mentioned on the show.
- In this episode Jack Gilford's character explains a shlemiel and a schlemazel. Coincidentally, just one day after this episode aired, the series premiere of the ABC-TV sitcom series Laverne & Shirley debuted using those words in its opening song.
Cast (in credits order)
- Carroll O'Connor as Archie Bunker
- Jean Stapleton as Edith Bunker
- Rob Reiner as Michael Stivic (credited only)
- Sally Struthers as Gloria Bunker Stivic (credited only)
Guest stars/Recurring cast
- Jack Gilford as Bernard Berstein
More External Liinks