| Season 2, episode # 1|
|"Archie Bunker's Place" episode|
|Series:||Archie Bunker's Place|
|Network/Country:||CBS-TV / U.S.|
|Air date||November 2, 1980|
|Written by:||Stephen A. Miller & Mark Fink|
|Directed by:||Carroll O'Connor & Gary Shimokawa|
|Guest starring:|| Heidi Hagman|
|IMDb:||Archie Alone: Part 1|
|« Previous||Next »|
| "A Small Mafia Favor"|
(Season 1 finale)
|"Archie Alone: Part 2"|
|"Archie Alone: Part 1"|
|Full Credits||Transcripts||More Images|
Archie refuses to deal with Edith's death..
Part 1 of two-part story. Archie struggles to cope with the death of his beloved wife, Edith. A month earlier, Edith had suffered a fatal stroke in her sleep. A stunned Archie rebuffs efforts from his friends to help him grieve.
Did You Know?
- This episode, along with Part 2, was originally an hour-long episode broken into two for syndication.
- Jean Stapleton grew tired of playing Edith Bunker, that she called producer Norman Lear and asked him to write Edith out of the show. She said to him "Let her die, she's only fiction". Lear replied "Not to me.." but it was done, and became one of the most well known moments of 1970s Television, as Archie mourns the loss of his beloved wife.
- Many fan theories suggest the medical reason behind Edith's fatal stroke, was in fact the phlebitis she is diagnosed with in the AITF finale "Too Good Edith".
[the first time back in his bedroom since Edith's death - Archie finds Edith's slipper]
- Archie: It wasn't supposed to be like this you know. I was supposed to be the first one to go. I know I always used to kid ya. About you going first. You know I never meant none of that. And that morning when you was laying there I was shakin' ya and yelling at ya to go down and fix my breakfast. I didn't know. You had no right to leave me like that!
[he picks up the slipper]
- Archie: Without giving me just one more chance to say I love you...
- Archie: [Stephanie has been skipping school] What did they learn you?
- Stephanie: History. How Marco Polo opened trade with China.
- Archie: Richard E. Nixon done that, you're lyin'.
Cast (in Credits Order)
- Carroll O'Connor as Archie Bunker
- Danielle Brisebois as Stephanie Mills
- Martin Balsam as Murray Klein
- Jason Wingreen as Harry Snowden
- Allan Melvin as Barney Hefner
- Bill Quinn as Mr. Van Ranseleer
- Anne Meara as Veronica Rooney
- Abraham Alvarez as Jose Perez
Guest Stars/Recurring Cast
- Heidi Hagman as Linda
- Janet MacLachlan as Polly Swanson
- Renne Jarrett as Kathy Wakefield
- John Welsh as Jim Spencer
- Sandy Lipton as Arlene Schiff
- Wil Albert as Bob