| Season 3, episode # 2|
|"All in the Family" episode|
|Series:||All in the Family|
|Air date||September 23, 1972|
|Production code||302 (3x2)|
|Written by:||Michael Ross and Bernie West|
|Directed by:||Norman Campbell|
|Guest starring:|| Billy Halop|
|« Previous||Next »|
| "Archie and the Editorial"|
(Season 3 premiere)
|Full Credits||Transcripts||More Images|
Still moonlighting as a cab driver, Archie has neglected to report his additional income to the IRS. Inevitably, the Feds come calling, whereupon Archie "handles" matters by offering the IRS agent a little under-the-counter hush money. Of course, the agent is neither impressed nor amused.
Archie does not believe it is important to report his income from driving Munson's taxicab, and then does not. It is not long before an IRS agent, Mr. Turner (James McEachin) shows up to audit him. So, Archie decides to come up with a way to wriggle his way out of paying the additional taxes. When he Edith both go down to the Internal Revenue Service to talk to them, it doesn't take long before he manages to offend Mr. Turner, who is black. In response, Mr. Turner tells him sarcastically that as a "favor" to him, that he is going to audit his returns for the last three years.
Did You Know?
- In a nostalgic glimpse at early 1970's grocery prices, Archie complains about having to eat chicken 'again' for dinner and asks why Edith can't serve hamburger for a change. Edith explains that it's easier to afford chicken at 29 cents a pound than the more expensive burger...at 98 cents a pound!
- Note: The IRS agent is played by James McEachin, who would later appear as Solomon Jackson in the episode "Archie the Liberal" in Season 7. Former "Dead End Kid" Billy Halop appears in the recurring role of Munson the cabbie.
- Incorrectly regarded as goofs
Archie is not wearing black shoes. The image that you're seeing is a close-up of the black panther cat statue on the television set that covers his feet giving the illusion that he's wearing black shoes.
- Archie: [Gloria comes home from work, and Mike greets her with hugs and kisses] Look at them two over there. Can't yous two come up for air?
- Gloria: Daddy, I haven't seen him all day.
- Archie: You want to see him, open your eyes and step back.
- Gloria: Be nice, Daddy. I worked hard today.
- Archie: So did I, little girl, but you don't see me comin' home and slobberin' all over your mother.
- Edith: No, that's right, Gloria. Your father was never much of a slobberer. He's more of a pecker.
Cast (in credits order)
- Carroll O'Connor as Archie Bunker
- Jean Stapleton as Edith Bunker
- Rob Reiner as Michael Stivic
- Sally Struthers as Gloria Bunker Stivic
- James McEachin as Mr. Ike Turner, the IRS Agent
- Ed Peck as Man on The Phone
- Diana Hale as IRS Agent
- Ken Sansom as 2nd IRS Agent (uncredited)